Sunday, February 17, 2013

Buy Yourself Some Flowers!

This started as, "Ten Nice Things to Do for Yourself" when I snuggled into my bed for a nice nap yesterday afternoon.  I was looking at the vase of roses on one of my nightstands and thought, "Awww...  That would be a good entry."  Then, as I thought of more things, I realized I sounded like a Cosmopolitan article.  So, instead, I thought I would share my thoughts on buying flowers for yourself.

As I've discussed, Mr. Man is not a Valentine's Day guy.  So, on Thursday, when I found myself in the grocery store to pick up some cheesecake for the two of us to share later, I was amused by the number of men lurching through the store clutching cellophane wrapped flower arrangements.  Their eyes were bugging and confused as they looked for something else to add to the Valentine's Day offering that was going to be given in the hopes of getting laid.

I decided to indulge myself.  Why not?  I like flowers.



When I selected my bouquet of lovely pink roses from the cooler, my eyes fell upon the 'Guide to Buying Roses'.  I chuckled a little and thought of the stumbling fellas who buy roses three to four times a year:  Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, his Sweetheart's Birthday, and their Anniversary.  I'm sure it's a daunting task every single time.  I'm also sure the advent of flowers in the grocery store have helped immensely since he no longer has to go into a florist and be asked all those bothersome questions about color, number, etc. and expose his ignorance.  He can just look at the laminated guide on the side of the cooler to know what to do -- even though his beloved doesn't have any idea either.

As I mentioned before, I dabble in the Wiccan from time to time.  One of my favorite concepts is 'Color Magic' and how different colors can evoke different things and be a useful tool in reaching specific outcomes.  It was interesting to me where the paths of Flower Speak and Wicca Speak converged and also diverged.

Let's compare...

Red:
Flower Speak:  Love and Romance
Wiccan:  Elemental Fire, Deities of Love, Passion, Sexuality, and War.

Kind of the same -- but not.  Fire and passion aren't always a positive force.  Sometimes they can be a destruction force -- which is why I shy away using red when trying to evoke a feeling of love.  I wouldn't want anything to go on a divergent course!

Pink:
Flower Speak:  Love, Gratitude, and Appreciation
Wiccan:  Softness and tenderness, romance, caring, emotional love, emotional healing.

Again there is an overlap.  The guide in the store just said, "Appreciation".  One could argue that "Appreciation" is the same as love and it's something we should say to our romantic partners.  True enough.  For me, I want it to be romantic and tender.  Thus, for me, the pink rose says it much better.

Yellow:
Flower Speak:  Friendship, Joy, Get Well
Wiccan:  Joy, Vitality, Change

Here's an example where it's the same -- especially since 'vitality' and 'change' can point to getting better or 'getting well'.  Give me yellow roses when you're happy.

White:
Flower Speak:  Purity, Innocence, Sympathy, Spirituality.
Wiccan:  Use for all things regarding communication with the pure spirit and healing.

It's the same.  Is that why nurse's uniforms and doctor's coats were white?  I want white roses only if I'm in the hospital.

Orange:
Flower Speak:  Desire, Enthusiasm, and Passion
Wiccan:  Good luck and fortune, success, prosperity, achievement of business goals.

Perhaps the flower growers just wanted to find a reason for people to buy orange roses?  I'm biased, orange is not my favorite color.  If I need luck, I'll get myself a bunch of orange roses.

Lavender/Violet:
Flower Speak:  Enchantment, Majesty, Love at First Sight
Wiccan:  Divination, warding off negativity, meditation, inspiration.

Lavender roses are the rarest of rose colors ... Maybe that speaks to the rarity of love at first sight?  These flowers would be good to ward off those Negative Nancies around you.

What's your favorite rose color -- no matter what the meaning?

I took the Flower Speak from the Pro Flowers Flower Guide and the Wiccan Definitions from Weejee's Wiccan Color Magic Chart.


No comments:

Post a Comment