Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Modern Medicine Probably Has a More Effective Treatment

This happened last week -- but it's only been in the past few hours that I've been able to actually research this and find that I was wrong.  I don't like to admit that I am wrong -- especially to Mr. Man because I'm usually wrong when we debate something.  This is one of those times where I was incorrect.  So I thought that, instead of admitting to him that I was wrong, I would admit it on an internets blog that he knows nothing about.  It's like admitting it to the Universe but not having to take responsibility.

I have not been shy about expressing my love for the Packers or the young man pictured at right.  Additionally, their well being contributes to my own well being in that I am less grumpy because they play well, etc.

Sssoooo...  Last Monday night, Mr. Man and I were snuggled on my couch watching the College Football Championship game between Alabama and Notre Dame.  Well, he was watching it.  I was trying not to snooze because, as I told him later, "If no one is running around with a green and gold 'G' on their helmet, I'm not really that interested."

Because I was bored, I did the 'chick' thing which is to talk while the game was in progress.  In my defense, I was talking about football.  The topic was Aaron Rodgers' post game press conference after their game against the Minnesota Vikings the previous Saturday:



Me:  Did you see the press conference?

MM:  [trying to concentrate on the game in front of us] Nope.

Me:  Well Aaron went about eight minutes and then got pale and in the middle of answering a question, he burped a little, then finished his answer and sped off.  At first I thought he was rude, then I rewound it and it looked like he was going to barf.  What if he has the flu?

MM:  [still focused on the television, but giving me a compassionate little squeeze]  If he does have the flu, he'll be okay.  They'll put him in the training room and hook him up to an IV and make sure he is hydrated.

That consoled me for a couple of beats and then my mind started to race:

Me:  Will they keep him out of practice?

MM:  One day will be watching film so he can rest.

Me:  With the IV in his arm?

MM:  I don't know.

Me:  Will they send someone home with him to cook him the right meals?

MM:  No, he knows how to eat.

Me:  What if he's too weak?

MM:  He'll be fine.

Me:  Will there be someone at his home that will make sure he's getting enough rest?

MM:  He knows how to sleep.

My next moment of silence was a little longer and I think he might have thought that he was out of the woods and could concentrate on the game again until I started walking my fingers across his chest:

Me:  What if I happened to be walking by Lambeau Field and one of the trainers came running out of the building and came up to me and said, "Aaron's body temperature has plummeted!  We need a middle aged woman with a little extra cushion to climb into a sleeping bag to warm him up with skin to skin contact.  Will you do it?"  That would be okay with you, wouldn't it?  I mean, if it's for the good of the team and everything, right?

MM:  [finally pulls his eyes from the television to look at me out of the corner of his eye]  Yes, that would be fine, but not necessary.

Me:  What do you mean, 'Not necessary'?

MM: [looking back at the television]  Because I'm positive modern medicine has a more effective treatment.

Now ... THAT just flies in the face of the First Aid Training that I received in High School in Northern Minnesota.  Please see the image to illustrate the technical term we use for the geographic location of my home town -- Way the Fuck Up There.  The average temperature in January isn't published because that would only scare people.  We need to know how to keep warm.

Despite the fact that I graduated high school 23 years ago, I was certain there couldn't be a more effective way of warming up a freezing person.  Therefore, the topic went from football to, "How can you say there is something more effective than skin on skin?"

The issue was tabled until I decided to finally look it up today.  And ... it appears that modern medicine does have more effective ways:  Hypothermia Treatment.

The only point on which I was correct is that my way is tons more fun.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the giggle Spinster, now my co-workers are wondering what the heck I'm laughing at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giggling is always good! If your coworkers think you're crazy, they won't make you listen to their boring weekend stories :)

      Delete