Monday, January 14, 2013

You went THERE?!

Green Bay Packers Cornerback Charles Woodson hangs his head as he walks off the field after a 49ers touchdown late in the 4th quarter during Saturday's NFC Divisional Playoff Game at Candlestick Park.  Photo by Evan Siegle/Press Gazette Media.

Bear with me.  I am still stinging from the routing my Packers took on Saturday.  SWP and I went to a Packers bar and had a jolly good time until the tide turned against us.  Well ... We had a jolly good time until the very end.  SWP reminded me in the morning that there was a 20 something kid and his gorgeous girlfriend who were trying to get me to kiss the young man ... And, perhaps, more.  But that's another story and a fond memory this 40-something will keep from that evening.

SWP and I took a mini-trip to a city 20 miles away.  I got us hotel rooms and we shopped before the game. So, when I awoke to my ringing head and dehydrated body, I was unable to get back to sleep.  While SWP slept, I took the opportunity to go out and find the Sunday paper so I could, at least, coupon to mend my bruised (because I can't say it's broken) heart.  I found the nearest C-Store that was open at that time in the morning.  The headline said, "D-Nied".



When I slapped my four copies on the counter, I sighed, "Oh, that just makes me sad."  It was then that the pimply-faced, greasy haired attendant behind the counter with the name 'Ross' scrawled on his nametag offered his opinion, "That makes me so happy!"  My head snapped up and then I decided to be calm because it is his right to be a 49ers fan even though he lives in Northeast WI, "Oh?" I asked, "Are you a 49ers fan?"  The young man who was actually ringing me up (whose skin was clear and looked like he'd bathed before work, btw) tensed up a little as his coworker replied:

Ross:  No, but I HATE Packers fans.  They're all assholes. [coworker's eyes bugged at this moment]

SS: [folding her hands on the stack of papers]  So, I'm an asshole?

Ross: [not missing a beat]  I don't know, I don't know you.

SS:  Well, I'm a Packers fan.

Ross:  [still clueless]  Well, most Packers fans are assholes.

SS:  The majority of people who come through here and buy things are Packers fans, you realize.  So that means that most of the people you deal with are assholes?  Because those people come through here and buy things, your employer makes money and your employer is able to employ you ...  Rosssssss.

Ross: [finally squirms a little] Uhm.

SS:  Yeah, "Uhm."  I promise you that after more than twenty years in customer service, I do not subscribe to the notion that, "The Customer is always right."  I can, however, guarantee you that it is never right to use the word, "Asshole" in front of any customer.  Further, it is even more incorrect to actually call the customer in front of you an "asshole" [young man helping me is now struggling to contain his laughter as he struggles to find the correct cigarettes I've requested].  Last, I am going to assume -- and I'm fairly secure in this assumption -- that, in this situation, there is definitely an asshole out of the three of us -- and it's not me and it's not your coworker.  Do the math.

Ross:  [chin wobbling]  I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything ...

SS: [putting change in my purse as I hold up my hand]  Save it.  Next time you sit down at your computer to look at pictures of naked ladies because that's the only way you get to see naked ladies, consider Googling, "People skills."

As I sauntered out the door, the coworker was busting a gut, "Dude!  She totally shredded you!"

2 comments: